Monday, December 6, 2010

Undecim

This week we focused on the shoulder blades, and the clavicle.  We looked at the various methods for drawing these components of the figure prior to drawing them from our model.   Working on several long drawings I continued to develop my understanding of scale, and form.   Professor Fichter looked over our manikins and made suggestions as to how to change or fix the problem areas.I had only four small changes to make, however the additional muscles that were assigned are numerous.  I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of trying to finish these by the time classes end.


On Thursday we received an extra week to complete our shell drawings, which most of the students were relieved by however this only meant that I could keep working on the shells that I had already drawn, and that I would work on the manikin again. In working on my shell drawings, I felt that my initial shell drawing was stronger than when I began to add the ink. I found the ink to be problematic.  My shell drawings began to take on painterly qualities more than drawing qualities.  


Though this week was a bit of a struggle for me to maintain focus, I am genuinely looking forward to seeing how all of this knowledge of the figure can be applied into other areas of my art making processes.  I am and will continue to study the figure from anatomy books, and from my manikin.  Finally, it is helpful to look at how other students work, and to see how they resolve certain aspects of the figure.  I tend to struggle to slow down, and my line is generally heavy, therefore I continue to work to lighten my line, and produce a more fluid form, using ideas and processes of some of the other students.  I find that I enjoy lines that have different weight, and width.  This variation brings more life to the drawing, and makes even the contour drawings more life like.

8 comments:

  1. I am glad I got to read this just as you posted it! 739 AM? Good job for being productive! Wow and I cannot believe you have both of your shells done, they look very wonderful. You shouldn't be afraid of your shell taking on a painterly quality, I think the ink is going to do it because it is something you cannot control much like paint. I think the first shell posted has great coloring the second one demomnstrates excellent depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your drawings are fantastic. I envy your skills. I really love the craft of your lines, each one seems so perfectly scribed. On the portrait there are few lines but each one is so descriptive, I have a lot of trouble doing that. Your shells are great too, The contrast between the styles of the shell and the background really make the shell pop out of the drawing. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this second shell looks great... i could do without the "cheesy" background patterning, but the shell itself looks great... good gob modeling the form. i can tell that you really took the time to sit and observe the shell... i think it paid off in the end...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shell drawings look awesome! I saw them up on the wall and was wondering who they belonged to. The colors your chose were a really great choice. Nice job on having both of them complete, I bet that feels good to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the way you broke up the face into the distinct surfaces. I can see how this would be helpful in viewing drawing faces down the road. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the others when they say that your shell drawings are amazing! I would have to say that I really appreciate the painterly quality. It may not be what the assignment was meant to be, but, It captures the way that the shell looks and feels very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I really enjoy your shell drawings. It looks like you really have a great understanding and control on how to use the ink. I love the hatches and the way you were able to incorporate the background. It is affective and subtle at the same time. Also your line work in the cross contour drawing of te skull is beautiful! good job =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your shell! The colors are awesome! I love how the drips go up and down on the page. It's definitely different but really adds to it.

    ReplyDelete