Saturday, November 27, 2010

X

This past week we began to draw using charcoal and ink, which I found difficult, yet freeing.  Freeing in that I tend to work with paint more fluidly than the medium of charcoal.  In addition we participated in a field trip to the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, where we were given essentially free reign to wonder about the museum and take in the art.  Of course I went to the Yves Klein exhibit for the 5th time since its installation at the Walker.  This experience was enjoyable, but not very educational from the standpoint of life drawing.  In addition to the Walker, we went to the Bell museum of natural history on the University of Minnesota campus.  This was educational from the standpoint of studying other forms than that of the human form.  At first I drew from the bird form, then from the fox, however this wasn't as challenging as what a skeletal form would prove to be.  I finally chose to draw from the skeletal form of a deer.  I learned a great deal about the reason that deer move the way that they do.  They have certain bones in their legs that I had no idea that they had, which revealed much about their movement and form.  I began refining my drawings of the deer and researching more about the skeletal structure of the deer, in order to better draw the form in the future.  Finally, the experience at the Bell Museum proved to be much more worth while and educational.  I found myself wanting to have more time to simply study the various forms before me.  I intend to return to the deer skeleton as well as other animal skeletons and skulls.

2 comments:

  1. Well aren't you so intellectual! Going to the walker so much! ;)

    I liked how you learned so much about a deer's form from their skeleton. It makes a lot of sense actually, now that I think about it. Looking back, many of the greatest artists did a lot of human dissection. That, not unlike the arduous work with our manikins, gives a better idea of what is going on below the skin.

    So now you are going to become a professional deer sketcher I assume . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry but this is not a deer skeleton, it's a horse with antlers!! XD

    ReplyDelete