Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tredecim

This week was a full week of studying, finals, drawing, etc.  Although busy, I was determined to create quality drawings, as the temptation is to just submit something for the sake of completing the objectives.  Thankfully I seldom take the easy road, for better or worse.  Interestingly the class drew the model in very rapid poses of dress and undress, attempting to capture the movement, and the various nuances of clothing as it falls on the body.  This was very helpful in gaining experience in ones observation skills.  Additionally we had another chance at a long drawing of our figure model.  I took a bit of this time to make any repairs and alterations that were necessary, to my maniken.  There were only a few major alterations that were necessary, however I did manage to complete this, and am relatively happy with the end results.  In general this was a great experience and one that I will value for a long time to come.  I spent a good bit of time working on my final shell drawing, choosing to only use black ink in multiple layers, as opposed to any colored inks or washes.  In this last shell I focused on slowing down, and simply observing the form before drawing.  This proved to be a worth while exercise in observation.  Focusing on applying many subtle layers, forced me to choose more carefully my rendering decisions.  Ultimately the week, although busy was productive and I hope that my skills will only continue to emerge.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your shell drawing. I think you did a wonderful job applying ink to help with the highlights and shadows within the shell. I however do think that more color would make it even more interesting but of courses this is just a personal choice. Also, I did get a chance to look at your manikin in class on Tuesday and it was looking great. Good work this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shell looks like it was just washed up on the beach, it's extremely well crafted. I really enjoy the use of the colored paper you chose, definitely a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As stated above, amazing job with your highlights and shadows, it is very realistic. I remember your drawings from the 3rd shell homework assignment, with the green colors. Adding some of that green to this piece could make it pop more. And I really like your implementation of the shadow under the shell. Did you tilt your drawing to the side to get it to run like that? Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely one of my favorite shells. Your use of contour lines really describe the shell well, being all varying and lively, and the ink helps define and describe the form without overpowering it. I almost wish you used a little bit more for contrast, but especially the ground plane is lovely with the drips. Good job!

    ReplyDelete