Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Duodecim

This past week our class worked on developing our skill in drawing the human form from the skeletal structure of the skull.  We worked on several long drawings of the skull as well as drawings of the hand.  For the hand drawings, we partnered with another person in class to refine what we had previously learned about the bone structure of the hand.  Though the hand was difficult, each drawing that I drew eventually became better and more informed.  Of course I will need to continue to study as this is something that will take many years to master.  In addition to working on our skulls and hands, we drew the shoulders from the model.  This was somewhat helpful, but I found this challenging as my view continually was obstructed or didn't allow me the proper angle to see the clavicle, and shoulders in the manner in which I would have preferred.

Continuing to work on the shell form, I produced several long drawings, as well as another, my final pen and ink shell.  The process involved in using ink is one that I have found quite challenging.  I actually don't enjoy this process or the aesthetic quality of the ink.  Though I don't enjoy this at this stage, I will continue to practice this technique in an attempt to gain more knowledge about this medium.  Having purchased several skull models, I found that they vary quite a lot in how they are molded, therefore the shape of the skull is radically different from skull to skull.  I am very glad that I have the opportunity to thoroughly study the skull.  I look forward to the continued application of this knowledge of the skull to make better portraits, and facial drawings.  As always this week was filled with a variety of new learning opportunities.  I hope to use these experiences throughout my career as an artist, and art educator.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I had some trouble with the hand also. It took me a few tries until I was satisfied. Drawing the skull did help me understand the structure of the face. So it should help me, also, with portraits and facial drawings.

    Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have this really graphic quality about your work. it's very unique. I really like the fact that you're experimenting with ink outside of class so much well, I mean it has to do with class you're just expanding farther into what we've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to give you a hand but after seeing the drawing on this blog I don't think you need one.. Very nice job. I really like the shading it seems to bring the drawing to life.

    ReplyDelete