Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Vita Tractus

Thus far in Life Drawing, we went through our syllabus, materials list, how to hone the charcoal to a desired tip, and how to adjust the easel to be at a point of optimum comfort.  In addition to the basic introduction, we have been looking at blind contour line drawing and various ways to hold the charcoal.  We have learned how to sharpen our pencils so as to create thick or thin line, as well as how to add weight to the line via added pressure.  Each student was allowed time to practice some of this technique as, Professor Fichter issued each of us a shell in which we began to draw rough blind contour lines of the form.  This was challenging as one typically has the use of visual landmarks to assist their form.  I found that my awareness of the shape was relatively sound, however my line weight was not nearly as varied as I had hoped.

It was interesting to see the many different ways that, other students chose to represent the form using a continuous contour line drawing.  I found this practice helpful in training hand-eye coordination.  My findings regarding this practice was, that the use of a thicker piece of charcoal yielded better results, however there was not as great of variable in line width and pressure.  I found the peer critique a useful tool assisting my development as an artist.  This input will greatly help to better interpret and challenge my understand of the visual language of line.

It is my goal in this class to further my ability to use line, in order to add another dimension to my work.  Through the drawing of the human form I will be able to better understand the musculature of the figure.  I can already see that there is much to learn in regards to line and form.  Ultimately what I have learned thus far is a bit of a repeat to previous drawing courses, however I am quite certain that I will learn a great deal, and look forward to the coming weeks to explore areas for personal growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment